Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cold and hungry.

Picture by  James Marvin Phelps 
Not our supposed cave-dwelling forebears, me - for the last few weeks. It's not that paleo is a "diet" that restricts how much food I can eat, leaving me hungry. I just seem to always be hungry. I can't seem to prepare food fast enough to get full for very long. And when I get distracted, I can get really hungry without noticing it.

I'm also cold an awful lot. The weather has been mostly chilly on balance, and my job generally involves sitting down all day. I'm still a hotbox when I'm in motion, but sitting still I find myself reaching for a sweater. When I was about 25, I went through a metabolic shift. I remember it because before, I would go to a dance and come out with a little perspiration, and after, I would soak through two shirts at a dance (literally had to bring multiples). I wonder if that change is reversing now that I'm on paleo. I've never heard anyone talk about either of these things happening, but then, I haven't really read that extensively.

I started paleo mostly to support Sarah, but also because I noticed that I tend to seriously drag in the afternoon. I prefer to have energy, and I noticed that if I ate a proper paleo breakfast (especially) and lunch, the afternoon went a lot better. So I welcomed extending it to the full day.

I would like to lose the belly fat, too. Not that I'm really obese, but I put on some pounds after college and especially with the baby, and it mostly went right to my belly. I was well north of 180 for quite a while. Recently I've been between 170 and 180. I got on the scale this morning, and what do you know? 165 - haven't been there since college. So, I may be hungry for now, but I'm also lighter. I notched my belt one more with ease - may have to get some new pants in a while. Maybe even exercise to have some muscle :)

Wouldn't mind having some of the other benefits people have reported from paleo, like relief from allergies, insomnia, and depression, and better concentration and energy. We'll see about those. My insomnia does often seem better, as long as I practice not letting my mind race after Aria (inevitably) wakes me up in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. Is there a way you could be paleo 3-4 days a week, but then take a break during the weekend, therefore making sure you get a balanced diet and satisfy your cravings?

    Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I like a guy with a little bit of bulk :) Don't worry 'bout the 180.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shellie, I wouldn't mind the weight either if it were spread around more evenly, or muscle :)

    Some do paleo 6 days a week and then satisfy cravings the other day. Most seem to have at least occasional "cheats". It's a balanced diet (so say the proponents) and there's no nutritional need to step outside it, but we're human and expecting too much of ourselves can be counterproductive. It's all about what you determine is realistic and in your best interests, not slavishly following some code. That said... it would be pretty difficult for a vegetarian to do paleo.

    ReplyDelete

All may comment. Be nice.