Monday, May 7, 2012

Not feeling so great... and I'm frustrated.

I'm really starting to think that my less-than-paleo eating is starting to make me feel sick. I had rice, cream cheese, ice cream, and a significant amount of processed sugar last night, and this morning I feel wretched. Nauseated, headache, aching all over, stuffiness, that kind of thing.

I'm pretty sure that milk and I do NOT work very well together. Almost every time I consume regular ice cream I end up being stuffy. However, it takes several hours for these symptoms to crop up, generally overnight. I guess it hits my digestive system and that's where things go wonky.

I also believe that sugar is likely a bad idea for me. When I say sugar, I am referring to granulated white or brown sugar or HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). It seems that when I do consume any significant amount, I end up being super-lethargic. But as with milk, it seems to take a while for the effects to hit my system.

As to rice, I simply don't know. Rice is generally considered "non-paleo" in most common paleo circles, but as it is a grass and not an actual grain, I wonder if it can actually be acceptable.

Alas, I could likely nit-pick such things till the end of time, but after a time there seems a point of diminishing usefulness in this particular line of thinking. The Paleo way of eating has no real lines of delineation aside from the basics, being the following:

1. Eat veggies, meat, nuts, and fruits
2. Don't eat tubers, legumes, dairy, sugar, grains, or processed foods.

And even these basic things are debated regularly on forums, blogs, and in books. It's starting to seem a very contentious type of diet, as there are a mass of contradictions in recipes and philosophies. There seems a general " eat what is right for you" type of mindset, once you get past the foaming-at-the-mouth paleo zealots who say there is only one way or the half-hearted paleo dabblers who eat in this fashion only when it suits them.

Eat what is right for you. Doesn't give me a whole lot to go on. At least everyone seems to agree that grains, beans, lots of cane sugar, and processed foods are out. That's about it, though.

I do hope to find my balance in truly healthy eating soon, as this kind of debate wears thin and annoys quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All may comment. Be nice.